It all started with this blank canvas. Drab indeed…
Then, I added a little green in the prepared bed… It was still missing something(s).
So I built a window box out of cedar.
It’s lovely… But I still wanted more. More flowers, some vines and a little somethin’ somethin’ different. That’s when I decided to build a trellis. I happened to have some leftover cedar batten laying around from the construction of the house and some scrap pieces of wire fence. Then I just went for it, making it up as I sawed the pieces. (Sadly without taking notes in the process to share… But, never fear, I liked the X trellis so much that I made another one for the back of the house. Tutorial here.)
I actually made these in the middle of June, but I didn’t want to post until there was a little growth… And, wow, things are looking good! Which does surprise me a little, just because I don’t have a green thumb at all and we are infested with plant destroying deer in these parts. They like to sneak in at night and munch all the flowers and bushes down to nothing! But, I do love them anyway, and I’m on a mission to plant things that they won’t enjoy so much.
Here are a few pictures of the Clematis and Black Eyed Susan vines that are growing here. I can’t even tell you how excited I was when the first flower bloomed! I’ve never been able to get Clematis to grow and sprout like this before. Maybe it just likes the morning sun on the east side of the house.
Anyway, thanks for checking out my novice gardening and woodworking skills…